Today I spent a few hours driving around Lancaster county, for several different errands during work and after. The drive was a mix of relaxation, conversation (cell phone), getting lost, being late in traffic, getting directions about 4 times from my dad to avoid rush hour traffic, and almost crashing into a car.
As I was driving home, I could reflect on each place and remember different seasons of my life. The result was that my heart was filled with awe at how undeservingly faithful God has been to me. This was His kindness to my heart, to keep me from simple sentimental nostalgia and instead to captivate my thoughts with His greatness in the working of His hand on my life.
Here is a smattering of places and memories that I traveled to this afternoon:
Lititz pike, driving past the home I knew for almost all of my first 10 years of life. It was for sale. This may have been one of the first times that I could drive by that house without at least some tears (I don't go that way often!)
SKH on Lititz pike - free doughnuts with Grandma on the way to her house, back when she kept us for one day a month to give our mom a break. But we only got the doughnuts if we left early enough!
Lititz, along with it's park, train tracks, and Wilbur Chocolate factory. Feeding the ducks with Grandma Sensenig, or going on family walks with Mom and Dad. Book-it pizza at Pizza Hut. School work in the car as Mom did errands. Piano lessons with Mrs. Wittenburg.
Dad's shop by SKH. Childhood visits. Summer work in high school and college. Bakery and farm. Leaving notes hidden in drawers, books, shelves, etc. for him to discover. The smell of wood, stain, varnish.
...Then zip right on pass to the southern end with me...
New Danville. Although our church still has some meetings there during the week, I really have not been involved that often in events at LMSND since we stopped meeting there on Sundays. It's good to remember those times. Some being:
children's ministry (when I was IN it),
youth group,
potlucks,
community festivals,
dramas,
the library and the way it was set up in between all the classrooms,
Mother/Daughter sleepovers and Cornerstones,
barking for gum from Granddady,
Children's worship,
and most of all Sunday mornings with so many people that I nolonger see. Many faces. How strange that one building can bring to mind so many faces, and so many relationships that were such a blessing. How faithful God has been; I can still remember specific sermons preached by Ray Randolph in that building, as well as guest speakers like Mario Jacobo, Brent Detwiler, Josh Harris, and others.
Continue further south with me...
Willow Street (or almost).
Siegrists. Puppies. Chores. Adventures in the woods. Strawberry picking. Rare times in the creek. Picnic lunches. Trampoline. Sunburn from falling asleep on trampoline. Late night sleepovers with Jeannette in Christa's room when she was away. Sneaking in the boys' room and thinking of pranks that we never did because we couldn't wake up at 3:00 am. Going on walks. Jeannette/piano/harmony/wo
Most of all, I think of how God saved my soul at such a young age, and has kept me. He will always keep me. How amazing to be a daughter of God.
What are some ways you have been reminded recently of God's faithfulness and grace to you?
3 comments:
Wonderful Times! Love them and all of you kids. Our heavenly father is good.
Dad
You have had a RICH LIFE, Sarah. Thanks for sharing.
Katherine Millen
How wonderful for you to be able to put all these things into words!!
Yes, I remember lots of these times
Love you lots and praise God for all the time He has given me with you!! :)
Post a Comment