Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fire

This past Saturday there was a fire at our Amish neighbor's house. Apparently it started from their stove and reached the ceiling, but it wasn't too serious and nobody was hurt. I guess they are near two fire department "territories," so maybe that explains why 9 fire engines came. It drew the neighbors out to have so many sirens, to say the least.
I took a few shots from a distance with my dad's zoom lense. I didn't want to be an annoying news hungry photographer, so I didn't get too close. I got what looked like a good shot, framed by Joy and Margaret walking down the street and out of focus with the road behind them filled with 5 or so fire engines. I was looking forward to seeing it on my computer screen to see how it turned out, and what did I see when I went for the memory card? Nothing! I was quite disappointed. Why the camera acted normal and showed the shots after I took them, I do not know. I sacrificed my self image and it wasn't kind enough to give me a return! That deceptive little thing, trying to teach me a lesson. :-) My dad has since changed the setting, which is nice of him.

Melanie Millen sent us photos that she took, and I actually got a shot of one of the last engines driving away.

You can see that they had two ladders extended to the roof. I think they'd be ok with just 3 fire engines and not the 5 extra along the road, but I guess better safe than sorry.




Our road was blocked off on both sides of our house, so Margaret and Melanie had a little photo shoot in the middle of the road. They have some cute shots.




Saturday was a beautiful spring day, the type of day that just begs you to be outside. Here is a shot of one of the last blossoms left on our magnolia tree. I absolutely love when it blooms each year, but it's usually very short-lived.

1 comment:

Margaret Sensenig said...

Thanks for the post Sarah! oh, and one of my friends from Penn Johns, Emma Ruth Burkholder's brother was in one of the fire trucks that came past our house! She told me that in a letter she sent me.