Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A picture is worth a thousand words. . .

. . . which is why I so wish that I had a camera today!
The photo I would have posted is one of our Senior Pastor, Pete Privitera, climbing into the sunroof of my car.

The story behind the "picture". . .
I was driving back to the office from the bank this morning, sometime after 9:00 am. Remembering that I had not flipped up the flag on our mailbox when I placed the mail in it earlier that morning, I decided to put on my four-way car lights and stopped on the road to quickly do so, since there were no cars to be seen behind me. I soon found out that I had been locked out of my running car, with the radio on and windows only slightly open (although my sunroof was also open fully).
Running halfway up the church office drive-way, I stopped to walk backwards and observe a few cars safely avert colliding with my car or any opposing traffic around the sharply curved road.
When I stepped into the office, Steve, Kurt, and Pete were in the kitchen talking. I just smiled for a split second, then said something about how they were going to be able to witness my first blond moment, and slightly paused for preparation of my next statement. After a brief explanation, they jumped into action . . . should Kurt get a hanger? Was my sunroof completely open, or just the moonroof? . . .etc.
Kurt sought his hanger; Pete drove to the mailbox; Steve consoled me with stories of Lori's similar experience. As Steve and I reached the end of the driveway, we saw the "picture:" Pete was literally climbing head first into my car through the sunroof to unlock the door, with Steve and I looking on and Kurt making his way to the scene with a hanger, as an opposing car took the turn and undoubtedly tried not to crash from a desire to stare at the curious sight.

And Nobody Had A Camera.

I suppose the moral to this story should be deeper than that. Perhaps it could be that I should take extra caution not to lock my keys in a running car on a public road. Some lessons are better learned through the advise of others rather than experience, but I do believe this was more fun to learn on my own. :-)
Side Note: All of my "blond" moments at work seem to be related to keys, like the time I briefly locked Pete out of the office after testing my key that I had "lost" in my jean pocket from Monday to Friday.

A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. ~Proverbs 17:22

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great story Sarah! Yes, a picture would have been perfect! I also thought that Pete may use this in one of his messages. :) Of course to share about the great lengths he would go to to help someone out. :)