Friday, February 26, 2010

breakfast

I have recently enjoyed a new concoction I've been eating for breakfast. It's not really that original, but it is for me. Up until this past fall (when I had a no sugar diet to cure my hypoglycemia), I pretty much always ate cereal for breakfast, and even dinner on some Sundays! We don't get the purely sugar type of cereal, but any cereal actually is higher in sugar. I loved it so much that when I was little (9 and younger, because I remember this at our old house) my family would call me their "cereal girl" from a song off of Sesame Street that was a kid rendition of "Material Girl."

So, this creation came about by combining two of the best breakfast foods, eggs and oatmeal. I basically make a small amount of oatmeal on the stove, leaving it fairly watery, then add an egg, vanilla, and cinnamon. Then I cook it like pancakes on a skillet on medium heat. I just dump quantities, and it turns out a little different each time. It takes a little while to cook, since it's pretty thick/hearty. I'm not always crazy about eggs in the morning, but I know I should have more protein rather than sugar, so I came up with this. The low sugar idea kinda goes out the window when you add syrup to the "pancakes" though. At least it has no flour and is fairly low on the glycemic index. You can make it with more egg or more oatmeal. I try to keep the oatmeal level lower, but still enough to make it pancake-like. This morning I made some for Joy, Mom, and Erin as well. They liked it!

I like to cook and experiment, but it's usually safest to do this when not cooking for others. :-) So it's great when they like it too!

1 comment:

Geoff said...

Sounds yummy. Maybe you can make breakfast for all of us some Saturday :) ?!?!?
I'll put syrup on mine! We should get a picture to put with your post...
Love from Daddy to my Cereal Girl.