Tuesday, February 2, 2010

old and new

This past Saturday my dad started installing some cabinets into my bedroom! He originally made them for the Millens, and they spent many happy years, I’m sure, in their living room. Now that the Millens are done with them, we are putting them into my bedroom. Although they are somewhat large in my small room, I am very excited to have something so nice and made by my daddy in my room. I’m hoping it will work out better for keeping my stuff too. It will be quite fun to arrange my things in them and make use of the bookshelves. Although I don’t have enough books to fill the shelves, I hope to bolster their contents with my picture frames, dishes, and other such objects.
I think the best part of it all is just the fact that I’ll have something made by my dad in my room. And I really enjoy the process of him working on it, and helping along the way as I can.
Here are some photos from Saturday. I helped him install. He’s done a bunch of work since the last photos I took too, and they are almost ready to be painted!
This is a before shot. My dad is so sweet and gracious. We had the cabinet on the right of this photo completely out of the room and in the living room when I remembered that we did not get a before photo. He wheeled it back in the room (we used a small cart) with me just for this shot! This still does not show my old dresser and a stool that I had in my room.


I spent some time on a little photo shoot of all of the verses that are taped to my old cabinets. I think I started my collection when I was maybe 12? A bunch of them were verses I memorized and spoke directly to ways God was working in me. Many were on the importance of holding your tongue and minding your own business! If you know me, or perhaps another controlling oldest child with 4 younger siblings, you know how much I need God's truth in this matter always before me.





















































My daddy!

I included this photo because it looks so much like photos of me when I was a really little girl. I think a big influence on my facial expression was how COLD it was outside on Saturday!

His trailer full of goodies for my room!





My dad's tools show how much he uses them. I love how much character they have. I especially like the shot of his tool belt, because it is so much a part of him in my mind.
I'll be sure to post photos of the final product. Right now all my things are scattered around our living room. I have to go out there in the morning to access the contents of my dresser. The past couple days I've been ready to head out the door for work and can't seem to find my coat anywhere because nothing has a place. Very soon though, I will be able to "move back in" to my room.

1 comment:

Margaret Sensenig said...

You are right, that picture of you DOES look like the ones we have of you when you were little.